Thomas Thurman on Fri, 8 Nov 2002 07:34:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] split & cat

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Paul wrote:
> Are you talking about "real" DOS or DOS in the shell?  I use "dir *." to
> list only directories in DOS.  Something like "dir *w.dll" also works.
>  I don't know about putting the * in the middle.

It's a version question. Versions of DOS before the one that shipped with
Windows 95 treated the * character as an instruction to fill to the end of
the field with ?s; because of this, anything following the first * in a
field was ignored. (For example, a*b*.c* was equivalent to a???????.c?? --
it's easier to code, but far less useful than the real thing.) Since
Windows 95, however, DOS has had rather saner globbing.