gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 8 Nov 2002 17:10:08 -0500

[PLUG] shell semantics (was: split & cat)

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 02:07:07PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> There's a registry hack you can put in, and tell it to use the tab for
> completion, like on Linux. I forget where I found it, but it works just
> fine for me.

Nit: you mean "like bash".

The original Bourne shell doesn't do completion at all (though it
looks like bash's sh emulation is "broken" in that it does), csh
does filename completion only (not command completion) using ESC
to complete a word and ^D to display options, and then only if you
do set filec (put it in your .cshrc).

I'm pretty sure both tcsh and zsh can be made to behave, outwardly,
like either bash or csh. I *think* ksh can do csh-style completion,
but I'm not sure.

Of the shells that do command completion (as distinct from filename
completion), there are a variety of ways of parsing the contents of
$PATH, which I knew the details of at one point, but I'd have to
Google to explain right now.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net