Michael Leone on Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:08:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: split & cat

Mike Bellerue said:

> names like that, it's generally best to run cmd.exe /f:on so you can
> have the filename completion option. A lot like tab completion except
> you have to hit ctrl+f or ctrl+d. The file name completion is nice

There's a registry hack you can put in, and tell it to use the tab for
completion, like on Linux. I forget where I found it, but it works just
fine for me.

> enough to use the quotes if it thinks it will be confused.  As for XP. I
> don't think XP is using ME's version of DOS. The main reason why I think

The NT codebase uses a 32 bit command line intrepretor (called 'cmd.exe').
It's not DOS (the old 16 bit version), it just looks and acts like DOS.

There is a "command.com", which was the name of the old DOS command
intrepretor, but I don't know if that's only 16 bit or not.

You really wanna use CMD.EXE for commandline work in Win2K. Much more
powerful than the old COMMAND.COM.

> it. That and XP still has the ability to run NetSH.exe. Which is
> definately your friend. If you'd like to tell Windows to shut the $!@#
> up, turn it into a router or firewall, that would be the program to run.

Now there's one I didn't know! Thanks.

> Now just one thing to keep in mind before I get flamed for the NT
> commandline being closer to Linux/Unix than 9x commandline. I did say
> closer to. Meaning I do understand that Linux/Unix commandline is much
> more powerful still. But Mr. Cutler deserves points for trying. And
> apologies for using Microsoft Virus and Worm Sharing Client 5.5. I mean
> Outlook.

Exchange (the mail server) is 5.5; Outlook has different version numbering.

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348