dwild on Sat, 9 Nov 2002 10:30:06 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Centralized Directory

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Bradley Molnar wrote:

> The problem we ran into with the NIS was, when the server died suddenly, the
> whole set-up would refuse to boot.  Since someone lost the solaris disks...I
> have had to replace solaris with another OS b/c we needed them to boot.

Set up one or two backup NIS servers, they will sync with each other.
Then when the master server goes down, the clients hit the secondary.

> The only problem I can see with NIS is what we had happen -- since it (by
> default I believe) mounts the user's home directory from the server on the
> local machine, if something breaks on the server end, you have a bunch of
> clients that have no users (some of the solaris boxes wouldn't fully boot --
> and the root password left with a professor who left last year).

NIS doesn't have to mount the home from the same machine...it just
provides the home path.

> If someone knows how to do this easily (make user directories mount over the
> network on logon), I would love to know how to set it up.

I use autofs, which usually works well.  The worst problem i've had is
when the machines are under very high load and an nfs server dies, you
need to restart the automount processes on the affected clients.

> If not, in a couple of days, I will know how hard/easy it is to set up an
> ldap using openldap (it probably helps that I was able to copy a friends
> config files).

LDAP seems more flaky than NIS to me...just an opinion from experience
tho.

> For what it's worth, I was talking with the Redhat guys when they were at
> Ursinus, and, they are planning on using openldap for future versions to do
> the logon stuff for big networks.  They are going to be writing some of
> their own software (graphical, of course) to make it nice and easy, as well
> as migration tools.

Kerberos also works very well...the problems are the learning curve for
lusers and it's a pain to implement.

-dwild