John Lavin on Sat, 9 Nov 2002 10:30:06 -0500

[PLUG] Impressions: jigdo

Well, I've finished going through the basics on the application jigdo
(Jigsaw Downloader).  I like it very much so far.  Let me give everybody
my run down on what it is and why its around.  Sorry, this got pretty
lengthy.

Jigdo background:
The number of supported Debian architectures, packages in their distros
are n-v-t-s nuts.  Building and maintaining all the different isos is
very difficult and takes away from developing.  Not to mention the
filespace taken up.

With jigdo, you pull down the template and iso layout for your
particular architecture and go get the right debs and pull it into an
iso.  Sure, you can download the debs and build your own isos.  Jigdo is
a utility to pull down the right debs, put them together in the right
order and build the iso.  Jigdo is not just for debian, but I'm not
going to go into that here.

The best feature?  Once you download a particular iso, you only need to
pull down the differences instead of a whole new iso -- Jigdo will
rebuild the iso for you.  The worst thing?  Very hard drive intensive at
various points along the download.  You have been warned!!

Jigdo essentials:
First things first.  Get the howto off of The Linux Documentation
Project[1] or off debian.org.

I found it to be very well written and easy to follow.

Next thing you want to do if you are on woody is get a 0.6.8 or higher
version of jigdo-file.  This is not in the woody distro.  Current
templates and jigdo files won't work with older versions.  You can get
details here [2].

After you install the deb, you pull the .jigdo and .template files for
the isos.  Since I wanted to make isos of sarge from the weekly build
area, I went here [3].  Go up a couple of directories and see what else
is there.

Follow the howto pulling down and building the isos of your choice.

Another cool thing is that if you're like me, you're not going to pull
down the full set of isos before the templates change.  You'll know the
templates change when you pull down one of the isos and some of the debs
are not found:  new debs uploaded.  Just pull down the new template
files, mount the partial iso and run again with the new template.  It
will pull down the modified files.

Well, that's all I can think of now.  Enjoy!

[1] http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/Debian-Jigdo.html
[2] http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd
[3] http://gluck.debian.org/debian-cd/testing/jigdo-area/i386/

Regards,