Stephen Gran on Sat, 9 Nov 2002 14:00:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Which distro for non-intel machines

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 03:16:19AM -0500, Bradley Molnar said:
> I found the set up from a google search for something with a sun ultra 5 and
> xfree86 config (don't remember the exact search) and copied this from a
> tutorial on how to set up a sun java something or another.  The keyboard and
> mouse setup looked like what I was using, so, I tried it out, and, it
> worked.  So, I was quite happy with myself :)
>
> Anyway, for all you debian people out there, is there any way to load up one
> machine with all the programs, etc, that you want, and then somehow tell
> another machine to install the exact same setup?  I'm trying to get the same
> packages on the two machines without typing apt-get install <package> on
> both (and if another has to be set up, I'd like to just say, install these
> packages) without selecting each package individually in dselect or the
> likes.  I ask b/c the gnome install on one appears to be missing some major
> component (the desktop doesn't have anything on it, not sure what package
> that is) and I was going to try to just make it the same.  Well, that, and I
> might have just made a big huge mistake and will probably have to redo most
> of it shortly.
>
> thanks
> -b

On the master:
dpkg --get-selections > some.file
scp some.file slave:/some/path

On slave boxes:
dpkg --set-selections < some.file
dselect upgrade

Also look into fai (fully automated installer) - it's designed to be
something like Norton Ghost, and just make replica boxes of the
original.  Never used it myself, but it looks quite good.  I was
speaking with the author at LISA, and he says that it's fairly robust at
this point, but you still need to edit some of the config files
(hostname, interfaces, etc.) by hand when it's done.
--
Stephen Gran
steve@lobefin.net