Michael F. Robbins on Sat, 9 Nov 2002 14:40:06 -0500

[PLUG] xinetd and tftpd: file descriptor closed, EBADF

I'm running tftpd (deb package tftpd-hpa version 0.28-2.1) out of xinetd
(2.3.9-1).  Sometimes, during or immediately after a file transfer, I'll
get the following in syslog:

xinetd[556]: file descriptor of service tftp has been closed
xinetd[556]: select reported EBADF but no bad file descriptors were
found

at which point I have to do a /etc/init.d/xinetd restart to serve more
tftp requests.  Besides tftp, I only use xinetd-based services on rare
occasions, but I've never seen this kind of error before.  Sorry, I
don't have much more information; I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

Contents of /etc/xinetd.d/tftp:
----
service tftp
{
        socket_type = dgram
        protocol = udp
        wait = no
        user = root
        group = root
        server = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
        server_args = -r blksize -s /tftpboot
        instances = 10
}
----

Any hints as to where I should start would be appreciated.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com