gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:22:33 -0500

Re: [PLUG] WiFI config

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 06:58:47AM -0500, Louis Dallara wrote:
> Quick question, I might switch to the Orinoco card, what's the difference
> between the silver and gold,

Silver will only do 64-bit WEP, gold will do 128-bit WEP. But since
WEP is intrinsically flawed anyway and you'll have to run IPSec to
actually get any security, who cares?

> do they both have external antenna provision ?

I thought not, but there seems to be a little unscrewable nubbin in
the end of my card, so perhaps it's possible to attach an antenna.

In any case, the reason to get a WaveLAN-based card over a Prism2 or
a Hermes is that the range and signal quality is *much* better.

> BTW MD 9.0 finds and configures a wifi card, not sure if its the right one,
> might be the chip set problem
> Helms vs prism?

You mean Hermes, not Helms, right?

(I can't help you much with Linux driver-specific; I don't use wifi
on Linux, only on NetBSD.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net