Louis Dallara on Mon, 18 Nov 2002 07:20:07 -0500

RE: [PLUG] WiFI config

Thanks John;

Quick question, I might switch to the Orinoco card, what's the difference
between the silver and gold,
do they both have external antenna provision ?
Thanks Again
Lou

BTW MD 9.0 finds and configures a wifi card, not sure if its the right one,
might be the chip set problem
Helms vs prism?

Lou out

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of John McElroy
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 12:54 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] WiFI config

Lou,

Not Mandrake 9.0 but this may be of help...

I just did a clean install of RedHat 8.0 on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 equipped
with an Orinoco Silver wifi pc-card.  RedHat recognized the card and loaded
the drivers for it.

But...

RedHat did not configure the laptop (or network settings) to use the
pc-card.  That is it did not create a device (eth0) to use the hardware.
This may be your problem on Mandrake. I had to go into System
'Settings->Network' (RH8.0 running Gnome2) and 'Add...' the device selecting
Orinoco from the wireless hardware list (which showed that the Orinoco
pc-card was installed on my laptop).

Then I had to configure the device settings appropriately for my wireless
network (I have a SMC 2655W access point providing DHCP).  So I had to add
the wifi and network information, click 'Activate' and it lit right up!  Be
carefull of the wifi settings such as 'Channel', 'SSID', and 'Key' (if you
are using encryption).

Not automatic but far less painless than when I set it up under RH7.3.

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:13:52 -0500
John McElroy <jmcelroy@macelroy.net> wrote:

> I have also use the "pcmcia-cs" package successfully on a Toshiba Tecra
8000 in conjunction with an Lucent Orinoco Siver wifi card.  Lucent also had
a Linux driver I downloaded but I don't remember if I used it or if I used
the built in support in pcmcia-cs (I think the later).  Worked perfectly
once installed and configured but it took some doing on my part.  I'll check
my notes to see if I have anything further to offer.

> Also, use the "iwconfig" package/utility to setup and check the
configuration of the card/driver.

> "wireless-tools" is also a decent text/curses based utility for setting up
and configuring you wireless access point.