JP Toto on Mon, 18 Nov 2002 07:20:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] near total kablooie

I've been using a Sony I got at the KOP computer show for a few years now w/ no problems. They usually have them on display so give it a test drive. Turn the brightness all the way up and flip on MS Notepad for white background. Make sure you don't see any scanlines or anything. Then turn it off and look for any burn-in marks. I think that's about all you can do.

KVM switches are always plentiful. I use a $40 electronic (push button - not the big knobby ones) one from Vastec to switch between my win2k server and two linux servers. No problems at all there. Using higher quality cables in that area (VGA anyway) helps alot.

jeff wrote:
It was going along too smoothly there for a while.
Then the monitor blows up.

Reboot with crappy monitor to find a much different set of messages, as if I wasn't running the same setup or linux. Uh-oh. Won't let me startx. Ok, I get the message... reinstall. GUI installer makes crappy monitor go haywire until I remember the ctl-alt-+ trick.

`apt-get update' runs then produces this:

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing libwww-perl (NewFileVer1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

What I'm failing to get is that the install went beautifully the first time. I didn't do anything different yet I'm getting all sorts of failures. The system found the NIC but didn't set it up as eth0 (or much of anything else).

Bloody hell.

Willing to purchase monitor or at least KVM switch (assuming linux doesn't mind). One cannot find a KVM switch at a store on Sunday (although one can find plenty of doofuses who have no concept of a KVM switch). KofP computer show is next weekend - are refurb monitors safe?

Thanks for any input, Jeff

JP Toto
ViceClown@yahoo.com