Arthur S. Alexion on Sat, 9 Nov 2002 21:37:16 -0500

Re: [PLUG] split & cat

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 09:13, Paul wrote:
> A1. By "real" DOS I mean the versions of DOS that come with Windows.  I
> don't really remember the behavior of and can't test any commands on DOS
> 6.22 or older.  DOS in the shell, from what I was told, refers to DOS
> commands under Linux.

My understanding (may be wrong) is that the DOS that comes with windows
(referred to as "command", never "dos" since Win95) had no improvements
over 6.22 other than displaying long file names in the last column of
the "dir" command when executed in a window (but not when booted to the
command line).  Rather, "command" dropped a number of the DOS utilities
that MS thought were rarely used (like the one used to assign drive
letters to directories, and the one used to "merge drives".  Other than
the aforementioned listing of long file names under windows, I don't
think there were any improvements to the "dir" command, nor to the
handling of wildcard characters otherwise.

I still spend some time in "command" each week, doing file finds, and
disk maintanence using some batch files.  I'm not positive of the above,
but I'm pretty sure.

> A2. I think the * at the beginning must have worked for me because I
> used commands like "dir *." more in the past when working on non-Windows
> and early Windows PCs.

"dir *." works because dos treats the file name part left of the dot
separate from the file name part to its right.  "dir *w." will not work
however, it will give you the same ouput as "dir *."  Questions marks
work everywhere, so "dir ???w." will return every file name with 4
letters, no extension, where the fourth letter is "w".