Stephen Gran on Sat, 9 Nov 2002 21:20:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] General Debian Question

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 05:59:38PM -0800, JP Toto said:

> Hi all. I'de like get a little feedback on Debian since I know we have
> some users on the list. I've been using Gentoo alot lately and I
> really like it...  particularly the portage system of package
> maintenance. The only thing I don't like is compiling everything. I've
> picked around with debian before but always got frustrated for one
> reason or another. My question is... are there reliable apt sources
> that have recently updated software? I was looking around all the
> debian repositories and I don't see KDE 3 (for example) in woody, sid,
> or sarge. Are there no KDE 3 packages yet for Debian? Is there a good
> source that usually has all the latest and greates packages available?
> Any feedback would be great. Thanks!!
>
> Cheers - JP

Well, Sid is usually the place that has the latest and greatest, but at
the moment there's wuite a bit of upheaval, and some things havn't made
it into even sid yet.  Part of the problem is that KDE3 is being held up
by the transition to gcc-3.2 as the default compiler, and until that
transition happens, KDE3 won't make it into sid.

That being said, there is an unofficial apt repository listed somewhere
on the KDE website tha has up to date KDE3 debs.  Also, if you follow
the mailing lists, there's always on eof the developers popping up and
saying that they have experimental versions of this or that newest piece
of sodtware available on their site, could somebody do some testing.
So, mostly stuff is available.  Failing that, you can always run stuff
on Debian that isn't from .deb format, and there are even tools to
manage non .deb installs, so that you can easily remove them later.

HTH,
--
    Stephen Gran                       |     "The Computer made me do it."
    steve@lobefin.net                  |