Fred K Ollinger on Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:20:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Knoppix/Debian

> If I can stop the virii long enough at work, I'm going to put it on a
> server (of course I'll have to learn the server part too..... more
> research).  Any clues as to what to watch out for (security-wise) would be
> appreciated.

Mainly don't install insecure services and stay up to date on patches. A
great thing about debian is that it doesn't install too many servers. I
don't like some of those wierd things that they have there (time?) so you
can firewall that w/ iptables.

One trick I use is to put unstable in sources list.

apt-get update;apt-get install ssh

This will upgrade ssh, only. Make sure that you put the original stable
sources back when you are done and do apt-get update again so that you
install stable versions.

There are manuals at debian.org. One thing that I really like is that
since they use the vanilla sources, reading the original programmer's docs
usually works great. Unlike rh, they don't move things around so much.

You can get source code by doing:

apt-get source ssh

You can even change options here and remake the debian package.

Fred