jeff on Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:00:07 -0500

[PLUG] Knoppix/Debian

It's been a few days since I installed Knoppix on spare machines at work and home.
I like it. I even tried the demo on my laptop and it found everything, no questions asked.

Since we're discussing Evolution, it didn't come with the install.
One `apt-get install evolution' later, it was there, complete with dependencies.

I haven't had much time to spend with it yet but I found a ton of RH support and haven't seen as much Debian yet. I'll do more searching this weekend.

I moved most of my personal stuff to the Deb box at work (I assume I'm correct in calling it a Debian box, as Knoppix was the installer). Very little grief thus far. Even installed a packet sniffer to impress my boss :) `Make' was there and worked.

If I can stop the virii long enough at work, I'm going to put it on a server (of course I'll have to learn the server part too..... more research). Any clues as to what to watch out for (security-wise) would be appreciated.

I highly recommend both the single cd diskless version and the version that wound up on my hard drive, courtesy of the install script.

I came across a page with very specific installation details (including the German words I had to hit to make the version default to English). I wrote to thank the author, who suggested I make 10 cd copies and pass them out to friends. I will.