jeff on Tue, 12 Nov 2002 21:50:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] evolution/devolution

Now *this* is strange.  Something I actually have used.

I prefer a GUI email client.  Kmail suits me fine in terms of interface
and features.  While I prefer KDE, I have noticed the GNOME is
considerable faster on my RedHat 7.2 system.

Ok, I can't necessarily answer your specific questions, but I can tell you that I was using RH7.2 then 8, both with Evolution under KDE. Since I'm not entirely clear on desktop operation, I figured that I got Evolution because I installed Gnome too, making it a fringe benefit (even though I use KDE). I think 8 liked my hardware better than 7.2 because it ran a little faster (AMD K6-III 450).

EMail is one of the large concerns I have about switching to linux. Evolution seems to do most of what I want it to.

1. jpilot won't install w/o satisfying some arcane dependency.

unfortunately I haven't brought my cradle home from work so I don't know about its integration. It *is* installed though. If I can remind myself to bring it home, I'll give it a shot and let you know.

2.  kdm seems to have been replaced with gdm or xdm because it looks
like the red hat 6.2 log in.

With RH8.0 I noticed the desktop looked pretty odd regardless of Gnome (default?) or KDE. There were few differences out of the box. Same goofy swirly wallpaper.

4. I don't like evolution. Seems like outlook for linux.

I believe that was the general idea, and one that makes it extremely familiar and easy to use for those of us coming from The Dark Side<tm>. Kmail didn't seem to have a lot of the features.

Has anyone encountered the evolution virus and know the cure?

When I installed, I went with minimal individual packages. I killed any sort of animation, graphics, exploding windows, sounds, and other stuff I regard as nonsensical resource eaters. I do it with MS too... I'm constantly amazed that people with slow computers will choose to put up full-screen high-color wallpaper.

Wishing you luck,
Jeff