epike on Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:30:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] webhosting question again

> > for example lets say theres a webmail application,
> > which reads mail from the sendmail spool (give apache
> > appropriate permissions).  Therefore
> > other users can read anything in that spool too
> > if they can write cgi-bin, specifying absolute
> > pathnames!
> >
> > am i thinking correctly or am i missing something?
> > any insight on industry standard practice on this
> > aspect?
> >

> Most webmail applications use either IMAP or POP3 to access the mail
> spools. This keeps them locally secure but web accessable.

Ok this means that at runtime apache reads mail on demand
by reading to/from the mail server.  This sounds good enough.

But I'll have to make sure that the web mail application does
not store message queue of its own and drops it into the
filesystem.

Thanks for the info.

e pike