Martin DiViaio on Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:40:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Ldap Auth and debian

On the 13th day of November in the year 2002 you wrote:

> Well, for starters, aren't all user UID's >= 1000?  That UID of 500 is
> probably part of the problem, although I'm not sure where the UID is
> being mapped.  If it's LDAP reporting a UID of 500, the entry is wrong
> for that user.  If LDAP itself is UID 500, then there may be a
> configuration problem returning LDAP's UID instead of the user's.  Hmmm.

Using UIDs > 1000 for users is a recomendation not a requirement. Most
Linux systems I have installed start adding users at 500.

As far as I know, the only special UID is 0. Only root (and root's backup
if you have one) should have that partitcular UID.