Stephen Gran on Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:30:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Ldap Auth and debian

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:21:46AM -0500, Martin DiViaio said:
> Using UIDs > 1000 for users is a recomendation not a requirement. Most
> Linux systems I have installed start adding users at 500.
>
> As far as I know, the only special UID is 0. Only root (and root's backup
> if you have one) should have that partitcular UID.

Sorry, I have been reading a bunch of Debian documentation, and this is
from their developer's reference:

  10.2.2 UID and GID classes

   The UID and GID numbers are divided into classes as follows:

   0-99:
          Globally allocated by the Debian project, the same on every
          Debian system. These ids will appear in the passwd and group
          files of all Debian systems, new ids in this range being added
          automatically as the base-passwd package is updated.

          Packages which need a single statically allocated uid or gid
          should use one of these; their maintainers should ask the
          base-passwd maintainer for ids.

   100-999:
          Dynamically allocated system users and groups. Packages which
          need a user or group, but can have this user or group allocated
          dynamically and differently on each system, should use adduser
          --system to create the group and/or user. adduser will check
          for the existence of the user or group, and if necessary choose
          an unused id based on the ranges specified in adduser.conf.

   1000-29999:
          Dynamically allocated user accounts. By default adduser will
          choose UIDs and GIDs for user accounts in this range, though
          adduser.conf may be used to modify this behavior.

I didn't realize this was so Debian specific.
|Stephen Gran                  | Q: Why did the astrophysicist order three     |
|steve@lobefin.net             | hamburgers? A: Because he was hungry.         |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                               |