Stephen Gran on Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:04:17 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Ldap Auth and debian

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 03:16:33PM -0500, Ian Reinhart Geiser said:
> okay following those directions i can now login, but at my prompt it says "I
> have no name" instead of my user name.  This is very odd, because the logs
> say that geiseri (uid=500) logged in.  but doing a whoami says:
> I have no name!@voix:~$ whoami
> whoami: cannot find username for UID 500
>
> Am i missing something very basic here?
>
> Thanks
> - -ian reinhart geiser

Well, for starters, aren't all user UID's >= 1000?  That UID of 500 is
probably part of the problem, although I'm not sure where the UID is
being mapped.  If it's LDAP reporting a UID of 500, the entry is wrong
for that user.  If LDAP itself is UID 500, then there may be a
configuration problem returning LDAP's UID instead of the user's.  Hmmm.

|Stephen Gran                  | The more complex the mind, the greater the    |
|steve@lobefin.net             | need for the simplicity of play.   -- Kirk,   |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | "Shore Leave", stardate 3025.8                |