epike on Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:50:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] webhosting question again

> Iirc, the solution is to have apache chuid before change its uid
> before executing a cgi program. But I haven't set this up myself, so
> I'm not really sure of the apache config details.
> --
>  Jeff

right now on my test redhat box apache master deamon is root,
and it changes its uid to apache.  At any given time there
are a couple of servers (like 8 daemons or so) just waiting
for a http connection.

The problem in my opinion with changing its uid to a variable user on
demand would be it would have to lose the ability to launch waiting
daemons because it would be forced to delay daemon launching since
it has to know which uid it would be acting as.  There may
be a performance hit if this is possible, since launching
a process for every http connection is slower than having
a server daemon already there and waiting.

I'll have to read the apache book again sometime and if i see
an elegant solution i'll post back.

thanks for the replies,
jondz / e pike