epike on Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:50:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] webhosting question again

Hi list

I'm the guy who emailed about apache + cgi-bin permissions
problem, I found what I wanted last night and I would just
like to share it to the list:

suExec - is enabled and ready in RedHat systems.  This
         is a wrapper to make cgi-bin executables run
         under specific users.

setup (redhat): for virtual hosts, all is needed is to
         set User and Group parameters to what you want
         the running process to be:

         <Virtual Host xxxx>
         User foo
         Group Bar
         </Virtual Host>

         With restrictions (file & group ownership must
         match, etc)

Pros:    with redhat its already correctly configured

Cons:    suexec binary is HARDCODED with root path
         of /var/www.  That means all cgi-bin executables
         must be in /var/www/path/to/mycgi-bin/.  compile
         time defaults can be seen by "/usr/sbin/suexec -V".
         If not /var/www then the form
         http://website.com/~user/mycgi.cgi should work.

Right now my remaining issue is wether to stick with
/var/www (which I dont like), or recomplie the suexec.

I'm not sure I want to recompile anything anymore
with redhat---I'd probably have to go with debian
at some later time, its just that i have to pull this
thing off really quickly now...

thanks everybody

jondz / epike