eric@lucii.org on Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:50:15 -0500

Re: [PLUG] near total kablooie

Well, the OmniView is not perfect... it's touchey about the "hotkey"
timing - but I've not experienced the "forgetting" that you mention.  At
the time, the comparable units were $250 and up so I live with the minor
hassles for the benefits.

OTOH, I had two Microsoft optical mice go bad in less than a year.
Both appear to be cable problems (open circuit cuts out LED power
or sensing lines.)   Also, I have two dead Sidewider 3d Pro joy sticks
as well.  Both died in less than a year.

The latter case is a real pity since I loved the idea of twisting the
joysitck handle to simulate rudder pedals instead of buying a separate
(expensive) set of pedals.

I have a Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard that I use on the laptop and
it's worked great.  No complaints (other than the strange arrangement of
the arrow keys.)

I replaced the mouse with a Logitech cordless optical mouse and I LOVE
IT.  No wires.  No mouse ball.  I use rechargable NiMh batteries and
they last 4 to 6 weeks between charges.  Simply amazing.

Long story short:  Microsoft hardware is, in my experience, fragile and
overpriced - much like their software :-)

Eric

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 09:32:10AM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:

> eric@lucii.org said:
> > I cannot comment on refurb monitors since I just started
> > using one last week :-)
> >
> > For a KVM I use a Belkin OmniView SE 4 port.  I use their
> > cables too so it was a tad expensive setting it all up.
> >
> > approximate: $125 + 4($20) = $205
> >
> > The OmniView SE has trouble with some keyboards like the
> > Microsoft "natural internet" keyboard.  It worked randomly.
> > How can Microsoft screw up HARDWARE???
>
> They didn't. MS hardware is very good across the board, keyboards, mice
> and joysticks. The Belkin, OTOH, has problems with NumLocks and mice. too.
> We have 2 of them here at work. I make it a point to hit the NumLock
> switch a number of times, toggling it on and off, everytime I switch to a
> different PC. Otherwise it forgets what setting it's on.
>
> --
> PGP Fingerprint: 0AA8 DC47 CB63 AE3F C739 6BF9 9AB4 1EF6 5AA5 BCDF
> Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
> Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
> Registered Linux user# 201348

#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
#  And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..
#              -- John Gillespie Magee Jr.