epike on Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:03:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] NIC/cable modem Question

> My goal is to set this up so that the three computers are networked and
> all have internet access.  I have several questions.
>
> Do I need to install a second NIC onto the connected computer to do
> this?

you could install a 2nd nic on the RH to build a masq gateway,
OR you could just buy a "broaband gateway firewall router" available
almost everywhere for < $100.  I used to have 3 nics on a
redhat masq box and it was ok, except that you will have
to bring your whole network down whenever you "play around"
with your RH box (adding a disk, etc).  The RH box was
so stable in my case, I couldnt bring it down to
add a disk (wife connects to the office).  At least with
a router box its mainenance free and probably consumes
less electricity.  Those home firewall products support
port fording anyway so you could still setup a server
contactable from the outside.

> Do I need any other hardware?
>
> Will Samba, properly configured, handle this, or do I need additional
> software to share the internet connection?

yup.  Samba will talk to yur win95 boxes.  if they belong
to the same network segment theres very little you need
to do except set it up and run it.  I think theres a little
tweaking involved if your win95 boxes crosses a network
segment (I've never been there yet).

jondz