gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:25:47 -0500

Re: [PLUG] WiFI config

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:15:11PM -0500, Jeff Weisberg wrote:
> the lock on your front-door is intrinsically flawed (there are known
> exploits), yet you continue to use it?

It's significantly easier to break the security on WEP from the
privacy of a parked car, or just sitting on a park bench, than it is
to break into my apartment's front door. I have neighbors, you know.

> "some security" is always better than "no security".

Then 64-bit WEP's probably good enough too. If all you want is
something moderately jiggle proof that someone would have to
actively attack to break, you're set. If you actually want to
encrypt what you're sending across the airwives, use end-to-end
encryption higher up the OSI stack.

> using WEP is certainly better than running wide-open.

Not sure I agree. I purposely leave my 802.11B base stations
publicly accessible (on a physically separate network from my
internal one, of course, but also bridged out for Internet access).
When *I* run through my wireless, I use IPSec (or some times just
SSH), but if someone *else* starts hogging my Internet bandwidth,
I'd like to know what they're doing with it.

> that "nubbin" is an end-cap. you can pop it out with a finger nail,
> exposing a tiny connector for an antenna.

Sweet.

Too bad my Orninoco silver seems to be wonky these days (or NetBSD's
driver's broken, not sure which).

Fwiw, many of the war-driving utilities seem to be Prism2 specific.
(I presume that's because they're easier to find?)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net