Arthur S. Alexion on Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:39:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] NIC/cable modem Question

On Monday 18 November 2002 03:14 pm, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> > Very much, but if I go with the masq/gateway, I will probably need
> > an additional NIC in the RH machine, right?
>
> yup.  a nic on the internet side and a nic+hub/switch on the
> internal side (the hub/switch is where all your internal
> machines would go).  if you have just one more windows
> box a crossover cable for connecting just 2 machines would suffice.
>
> its should be possible to trick just one ethernet card to serve
> different networks, but from my scant reading it looks like
> too much trouble to worry about ("ip aliasing" or something
> like that).

Last time I bought a NIC, I got a Netgear for $15.  Certainly not cost
effective messing around to save that.

Looks like a stand alone router is the way to go too.

On a related topic (because I have to solve this problem first), I just
installed a NIC onto a computer that was given to me.  I have not
installed Linux, yet, since I think the install will go smoother if I
get the network working in Windows first.  Well the Windows Plug and
Pray recognized that I installed the card, and I proceeded to install
the drivers.  According to the computer itself, the network card is
working and it is logged onto the network, but it can't see the other
computers, and none of them see it.  By moving stuff around, I think I
have eliminated anything outside of this computer as the problem.  I am
now thinking that if I install Linux, I will have better tools for
diagnosing this.  Am I right? any suggestions?