gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:30:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] security.debian.org up in flames (and others) (fwd)

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 02:45:05PM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> Wow, doesn't that NOC have any fire protection???

Nobody installs halon any more. It's deemed too much of a health
risk.

So, without that, what do you want, sprinklers in the NOC? I think
now...

So, no. And neither does my workplace have any kind of fire
suppression. Not for the six Sun E450s, not for the various
PowerEdge or Compaq servers, not fot the old Penguin boxes, not
for either of the IBM 390 (well, one's a "zSeries, but whatever)
mainframes. I'm led to believe this isn't as shockingly bad as you
may think, that you could probably do as much damage as a fire with
halon to your equipment, and you certainly could with water. (And
the fact that halon will kill the operator if he doesn't bolt fast
enough isn't much in its favor.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net