epike on Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:30:06 -0500

[PLUG] rsync + ssh question

rsync + ssh question:

scenario:

1. backing up an important server on the internet (server A);
2. server could potentially house huge amoutns of info (large disk!)
3. I have cable access at home, and I want to mirror
   server A.

my working solution:

use rsync to backup the files.  Its good since i only
do incremental backup, and the connection will be secure.
Also, ssh public key authentication will be used.

the problem is, I'll have to put the job in cron and to
use ROOT on my client machine at home, and use ROOT permission
on server A (to read the files, and to preserve permissions).

any problems with my solution? more info/suggestions/comments
are welcome!  (Obvoiusly I'm afraid to put a public key
on root's (server A) trusted users, but I can't think of
a simple, elegant solution.)

thanks in advance,
jondz/epike