Will Dyson on Thu, 21 Nov 2002 05:20:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] rsync + ssh question

epike@isinet.com wrote:
rsync + ssh question:

scenario:

1. backing up an important server on the internet (server A);
2. server could potentially house huge amoutns of info (large disk!)
3. I have cable access at home, and I want to mirror
   server A.

Do you really need a live mirror of the server, or do you only want a set of off-site backups? If the latter, I suggest this nifty little tool: <http://www.nongnu.org/duplicity/>. It takes incremental backups using the rdiff algorithm (same as rsync uses) and uploads them to a backup server via scp. I've been using it to backup my personal machine for a few weeks now.

The advantage over rsync is that since everything is kept inside tar files, you do not need root on the backup host in order to preserve the permissions, timestamps, etc. You only need to have a null-passphrase key for an unprivaleged user.

Of course, if you really need a mirror, then User Mode Linux is probably the ticket. Run a UML instance as an unprivaleged user, give out a key to the UML instance's root, not yours. The UML's filesystem is just a regular file on your disk.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and just a reminder. If someone malicious gets root on server A, they can still go and delete your mirror even if they can't do the same to your personal files. You already have some kind of offline backups somewhere, I hope.

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman