Stephen Gran on Thu, 21 Nov 2002 01:40:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Recommendations on how to partition

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 12:00:09AM -0500, Mike Leone said:
> Well, it looks like I'm at a point where I'm ready to reinstall. I had major
> ReiserFS corruption in both /usr and /home (possibly others). I've managed
> to fix /home, and was finally able to copy off /home to a spare harddrive.
>
> So here's my question: presuming that the drive is not physically fubarred,
> I want to reformat and reinstall Libranet 2.7. It's a 60G ATA 100 drive
> (amazing how cheap disk drives are ... :-).
>
> Anyway, here's what I'm thinking:
>
> /boot		30M (room to test many kernels :-)
> /		1G
> /opt		2G (in case something likes to install in there)
> /tmp		2G
> /var		4G
> /usr		12G
> And the rest split between /home, and a FAT32 storage partition, so that my
> Win2K drive can see and share things there (storage graphics, music, etc),
> for those few times when I boot into Win2K.
>
> Have a missed anything? Is there any other standard directory that should be
> on it's own partition? /usr/local/src or whatever (that's just an example)
>
> I don't think so, but hey - I'm very rarely right anymore. :-)

If you have more than a couple of users on the box, I like to leave a
little more room in home, but for a single user box, that should
probably be fine.  I suppose this is one of those moments where
everybody has their own recipes, but mine is generally to leave the most
room in /home, with divisions something like:

/       200-250M
/usr    5-10G (depending on what you want - GNOME, KDE and a lot of apps
        only fills 3G or so here)
/var    2-5G (higher range for servers, lower for desktops)
/tmp    1G (but only if doing a lot of things like patching kernels)
/home   everything else.

This is mostly because I usually install Debian, though, and they never
install to /usr/local, /opt, or anywhere else oddball.  So no need to
make room elsewhere.  Libranet is a mostly Debian distro, right?  I'm
not sure how close they stick to it, though.

HTH,
|Stephen Gran                  | You will live a long, healthy, happy life     |
|steve@lobefin.net             | and make bags of money.                       |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                               |