gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:50:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] rsync + ssh question

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 06:13:43PM -0500, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> the problem is, I'll have to put the job in cron and to
> use ROOT on my client machine at home, and use ROOT permission
> on server A (to read the files, and to preserve permissions).

Not in principle. You'll need null-passphrased keys. Ideally, each
should be limited by way of an argument in /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
to *oonly* be able to execute rsync, even better would be specifying
the full path (even better than *that* would be not running as root
and chroot()'ing to the directory where the files live, but that's a
bit much).

And, of course, be CAREFUL where and how you store the keys.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net