epike on Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:10:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] rsync + ssh question

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 06:13:43PM -0500, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> > the problem is, I'll have to put the job in cron and to
> > use ROOT on my client machine at home, and use ROOT permission
> > on server A (to read the files, and to preserve permissions).
>
> Not in principle. You'll need null-passphrased keys. Ideally, each
> should be limited by way of an argument in /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
> to *oonly* be able to execute rsync, even better would be specifying
> the full path (even better than *that* would be not running as root
> and chroot()'ing to the directory where the files live, but that's a
> bit much).

thanks...i was wondering what would be running on the server end
didnt realize it was also rsync (i'd have thought there was
a rsyncd or something more complicated on the other end).

I was also thinking of having another login just for a remote
backup but i'd have to give that a uid of 0 and that doesnt
really help minimize the problem...

> And, of course, be CAREFUL where and how you store the keys.

maybe by diskettes, to be removed after booting.  I'll
also make sure the backup machines are behind a firewall...

> --
> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net

much thanks,