gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:10:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] rsync + ssh question

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 06:56:46PM -0500, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> thanks...i was wondering what would be running on the server end
> didnt realize it was also rsync (i'd have thought there was
> a rsyncd or something more complicated on the other end).

rsync has a daemon mode. I thought it involved doing its own layer
7 protocol, precluding use of ssh as the transport, but looking at
the man page again, I may be mistaken.

Look at the --daemon option in rsync(1) and all of rsyncd.conf(5).

> I was also thinking of having another login just for a remote
> backup but i'd have to give that a uid of 0 and that doesnt
> really help minimize the problem...

Why is that only root can read these files? (Not saying it's not
valid, but it's worth questioning...)

> maybe by diskettes, to be removed after booting.  I'll
> also make sure the backup machines are behind a firewall...

Presuming you trust everyone with physical access to the machine,
you *should* be okay trusting Unix permissions for the protection
of the key files. (cs.swarthmore.edu used--and probably still uses,
I'm not a sysadmin there anymore--a hack of mine to replace NIS
with rsync.  It doesn't scale very well, but it works just fine in
a limited environment. I still want to get back to cleaning that
system up a bit.)

The caveat to this is that if anyone gets root on a system with
keys, you lose. So don't run dangerous daemons, or run them non-
root in a chroot(8) environment (many daemons, like BIND 9, Postfix,
and INN have built-in provisions for this).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net