epike on Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:40:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] rsync + ssh question

> Why is that only root can read these files? (Not saying it's not
> valid, but it's worth questioning...)

system backup --- /home, /etc, /www and stuff.  We can't be
carrying tapes to the site where the server is located everyday:-)

> The caveat to this is that if anyone gets root on a system with
> keys, you lose. So don't run dangerous daemons, or run them non-
> root in a chroot(8) environment (many daemons, like BIND 9, Postfix,
> and INN have built-in provisions for this).

I understand the risk, its going to be, that anybody who gets
the private keys will be able to mirror all the files
on the server.  Actually the "backup clients" will have almost
no services active (probably just local telnet for maintenance,
and sendmail for mailing out status).  As much as possible they'll
be behind a firewall having no services exposed to the internet.

epike