gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:50:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Recommendations on how to partition

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 12:00:09AM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> /boot		30M (room to test many kernels :-)

Perhaps Debian (and, thus, Libranet) is more sane in its /boot
usage, but I've found anything less than about 50M to be mighty
narrow under Red Hat 7.3. (Bebopping along fine, use RHN to update
the kernel, have it fail because it can't fit things in and doesn't
know to recycle the once-out-of-date kernels.)

I mean, c'mon, you've got 60 GB, is it really gonna hurt you to
leave room to tinker in there?

> /opt		2G (in case something likes to install in there)

What's wrong with sym-linking it to /usr/local? That way your local
software space is all allocated in the same space.

> /tmp		2G

Gee, I sure wish Linux tmpfs worked like it does under Solaris,
sharing virtual memory with /tmp. Oh well.

> /var		4G

Seems reasonable.

> /usr		12G

Does /usr really need that much, or is it just going to end up being
wasted space? Sure, you might hit 12 GB if you installed even half
of all the available Debian packages... but do you really need every
web browser packaged for Debian? I doubt it...

(I'd stuff 6 more GBs in /home, if I were you. But you know your
usage better than I.)

> Have a missed anything? Is there any other standard directory that should be
> on it's own partition? /usr/local/src or whatever (that's just an example)

Oddly enough, I've been thinking through stuff like this a bit
myself lately. Here's my general thinking on my own situation laid
out. I don't think it'll change anything you're doing, but I've seen
this "what should I think about when partitioning a new disk" roll
past a few times, and I've got some notes sitting right here I can
spruce up into prose quickly, so I'll throw this out there.

On my main machine (NetBSD, but the basic idea applies), df -k
(no, NetBSD's df(1) doesn't have a -h, it's a political issue I'd
rather not go into) says:

/dev/sd0a     1016951   500810    465293    51%    /
/dev/sd0g      506893    44905    436643     9%    /var
/dev/sd0e     4571908  3831471    511841    88%    /usr
/dev/sd0f     2017206   989216    927129    51%    /home
/dev/wd0a   130104846 33362996  90236607    26%    /music
/dev/wd1a    38701490 36740896     25519    99%    /forty

Not in that list is /dev/sd1. It is an unformatted:

sd1 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <QUANTUM, ATLAS IV 18 WLS, 0909> SCSI3 0/direct fixed
sd1: 17522 MB, 13816 cyl, 8 head, 324 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 35885168 sectors
sd1: sync (25.0ns offset 31), 16-bit (80.000MB/s) transfers, tagged queueing

that I'll be using to replace sd0 (which is an 8 GB Fast SCSI disk
as opposed to the new 18 GB LVD/SE disk; the 8 GB disk gets to move
to my main macppc machine, since it's exactly the fastest speed
possible on the PowerMac 7500 bus anyway).

Clearly, some of my allocation choices were less than perfect.
Ignore /music (oggs of all my CDs) and /forty (the old /music, till
I ran out of space on it; I was using mp3s at the time, which is
why basically the same amount of music takes up less space on the
new disk); they exist to be filled to capacity and then upgraded.

My guess on / seems to have been about right. (NetBSD doesn't--and
couln't with out some boot process changes--use a /boot; the
kernel's stored at /netbsd, and various things presume that / is
also your boot medium.) I think it was a poor choice on my part not
to separate /tmp out, but I didn't have a good feal for how large it
was going to get. I do now (well, this very second it's nearly
nothing, but I can log a du -sk every ten minutes for a week and be
sure that I'm well over the typical usage even when some application
is using a lot of temp files). I haven't checked it completely, but
my guess is that a 1 GB /tmp would be more than adequate for my
usage.

My guess on /var was, apparently, high. But I'm not inclined to
lower it... in fact, I'll probably raise it. I set it at what I did
so that I could have space for extensive logging. This machine
bridges between four networks--two wired, one 802.11B, and one an
802.11B link to another wired network--and serves files to all but
the public one. And it's only going to start doing *more* of that
with a larger, faster main drive. If I'm comfortable with the
frequency with which my log rotation discards information, then 500
MB may be enough. But I think I'll kick it up to a GB, with 18 to
use. (I'm pretty sure that my ipmon--ipfilter's logging--log rotates
*way* too frequently for my taste. I might have a week of logs at
the most, I'd rather have about two months.)

It would appear that my guess on /usr was way low. I was shocked to
see it that utilized when I did the df to paste into this email;
either something weird's going on there or I haven't been paying
close enough attention. Come to think of it, I think /usr/pkgsrc is
bloated from a half-built-but-then-failed OpenOffice install. I'd
rather move pkgsrc--easily replaceable data--off onto one of the IDE
drives, probably the one mounted at /forty, after making sure that I
really do have everything on the new /music that I had on the old
one. If /usr loses pkgsrc (which has a tendency to swell and shrink
as packages are built and installed, then cleaned, then periodically
the whole tree is cleaned forcefully so that it can be cvs updated,
including removing the third-party distribution tarballs) then the
disk allocated to it now should be more than sufficient.

Finally, my guess on /home seems to have been reasonable at the
time, but it may not be any longer. Right now, I'm the only real
user of that system. A year from now, it's *extremely* likely that
friends (one one of the three internal networks, or even across the
Speakeasy interface) will be using the machine for file storage in
one sense or another (whether it's me sharing things or them putting
things in their own accounts, it doesn't matter), so the balance of
my 18 G disk will probably go to /home. If it were the *only* disk
I had, I'd consider how much of it I wanted for /music and how much
for /forty (obviously, the name would change ;^>), which will house
a NetBSD source tree, NetBSD pkgsrc, a cvsroot for my own sources,
and enough place to build and store full NetBSD releases for all
the architectures I use regularly. The 160 GB (I know it only looks
like 120 GB; that's because I partitioned the disk while I was
running an older NetBSD kernel that didn't know about ATA/133; the
addressing limit under ATA/100 is 120 GB; I need to dump the
contents on /forty temporarily and reformat /music so I'm actually
using the full disk) disk is plenty for /music, the 40 GB one plenty
for the sources disk.

The only scary thing left from all of that is putting something I
care about (my own cvsroot) on an IDE disk. Makes me shudder. So
maybe I'll actually stick that on the new 18 GB LVD disk and keep
only easily replaceable things on the IDE (the data in /music is
easily replaceable, even if it means I spend a couple of weekends
cycling CDs through the CD-ROMs; the data in /forty will be easily
replaceable, since it just means downloading sources again). Or
maybe I'll just backup my cvsroot regularly and go on with life.

*Definitely* more than you needed to know...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net