William H. Magill on Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:30:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT: HD TV

On Sunday, November 24, 2002, at 12:56 PM, Naresh wrote:
I was thinking of buying a HDTV (43" Hitachi), and I was wondering what
exactly do I need :

I have Comcast cable (not digital cable), with 85 channels. Do I need to
subscribe to the Digital cable and all the other "digital" services?

In general HDTV is a digital service, incompatible with analog cable.

However, being a Time Warner (Urban CableWorks) subscriber, I don't know Comcast's schedule... but in general, the Cable industry is loth to carry HDTV signals. (To the best of my knowledge, TW does not carry any of the local Channel's HD material.) For that you need one of the satellite services, or, even cheaper, a rooftop Antenna!

All of the Major local TV stations (3,6,10,12,17,29,57) broadcast some portion of the broadcast day in HDTV (Channel 12 supposedly is broadcasting a full 24 hour schedule in HDTV). However, the HDTV broadcast is normally carried on a different "cable" channel than the regular analog broadcast as the two are incompatible.

If you can put up with all the popups, see:
		http://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/
or a cleaner site...
		http://www.titantv.com/

for a list of stations in the area broadcasting HDTV and their HDTV schedules. (Don't forget to check the NJ and DE (Delaware) listings; Channel 12 - WHYY - is actually licensed out of Wilmington. (Also note that WWOR is listed as Secaucus NJ, but their transmitter was one of those atop the World Trade Center, and as with all of the NYC stations is no longer broadcasting HDTV.)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com