Steve on Sun, 24 Nov 2002 20:40:06 -0500

RE: [PLUG] OT: HD TV

Haha! My expertise will be of use to _somebody_!!!

With Comcast you will have to subscribe to the "Digital Cable" package.
Then you add on the "HD Package".  They handle this one of two ways.
There is the digital set-top box that they give you, with a 1/8" jack
connection for a separate HD set-top box.  They rent the box out with
the HD service.  I have heard that they are also offering an all-in-one
box too, but I haven't called them.

Comcast offers NBC, ABC, WHYY, Showtime and HBO in HD.  They are very
nice to look at.  Most of them just put out a re-re-letterboxed version
of 4x3 signal (black lines down the side, as HDTV spec is 16x9) when the
content they have is not HD.  Watch out as this can cause burn-in with
plasmas and projection TVs.  My 4x3 Sony 32" XBR ends up with a 'framed'
picture.  The TV (when getting an HD signal) shrinks to the 16x9 format
(giving the bars above and below), then NBC (for example) adds bars to
the side to it the normal ratio feed to the HD signal (giving me side
bars).  The net effect for me is a 27" TV framed by my 32".... kinda
odd, but I guess Sony didn't make a zoom.

And, with the HD-Decoder box also comes a Digital Coax (still RCA
connector) connector with Dolby Digital out for your receiver.  Niiice.

You can also get a 'terrestrial Broadcast HD receiver'.  This will
receive the normal HD broadcasts put out by PBS, FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS
(maybe not CBS).  The problem is you need a substantial antenna.  And I
live in Exton, so I'd need a HUGE antenna, and I rent.  So I use
Comcast.  The Broadcast HD decoders are ~$700, last time I looked.  But
that number could have dropped substantially by now.

The net effect is I can get movies from cable that are as high in audio
fidelity as any non DTS DVDs, and MUCH better video.

HD Sopranos are nice too.  Mmmmmm...  I see them in a half-hour.

Anything else I can help with?

					-Steve