W. Chris Shank on Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:20:05 -0500

[PLUG] Playing with Fire?

How hard would it be to run a kernel from one distro on a system installed
with another distro? In particular, I can't succesfully get RH8 to enable
the FireWire DVD-CDRW in my Vaio docking station, nor use PCMCIA reliably.
I think it all centers around APCI configuration, but the kernel never
compiles with APCI enabled. However, Mandrake 9 (2.4.19 kernel) works
great - but I'm not a fan of their interface & menu's and some other
application configurations (ie: Mozilla is not default browser - galeon is
- and mozilla doesn't print).

I have RH 8 on my desktop boxes and would like to keep the interface
consistency (my wife is now using Linux successfully on desktop box).  So
I'd like to just plunk down the Mandrake kernel on RH8.

I know, you are all saying just compile and install your own. I've tried
this - and when I get one thing working, something else breaks (like sound
or networking). I prefer not to spend hours and hours on this - so I'm
looking for a short-cut.

I would consider debian - but from what I remember - there is even more
manual configuration that must occur - which I don't habve time for.

Thanks

Chris