Bradley Molnar on Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:58:08 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Playing with Fire?

one thing that is odd if you have never tried debian (I just tried it a few
weeks ago...)

I hated it at first.  It was such a pain in the neck to do anything.
Packages were older, etc, etc, etc.

I think it is great now.  apt is fantastic.  My only complaint is that on
the alpha version (that being the alpha processor), the php interpreter is
messed up and will crash apache whenever I try to load it -- that any a new
copy won't recompile properly as a module.  Grrr, general apache problems
follow me everywhere.  But, other than that, the machines that it was put on
are running fantastic.  I have only had to reboot them a couple of times to
test whether things were working right on start up, and one was accidently
rebooted by someone who was being a jerk -- I disabled it the next time I
came in.

long story short, if you haven't tried debian before, give it a week of
playing with it before you say how bad it is.  It grows on you.

-brad