Jeff Weisberg on Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:01:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] NetBSD

| I just installed netbsd on a sparc machine and for some reason, the main
| drive is mounted in read only mode.  The fstab is set up to mount it as
| read/write and the online docs don't mention this anywhere.
|
| The machine didn't say anything about there being a problem booting, and,
| this is the first boot after install.

this isn't what should normally happen, so something,
somewhere, isn't right.

generally, the 1st time the system boots it will not be
configured, and will drop into single-user mode, with a
message similar to:
	/etc/rc.conf is not configured.  Multiuser boot aborted.
if so, edit /etc/rc.conf and reboot.

NetBSD will also drop into single-user mode with root read-only
for various other reasons. did you get a 'login:' prompt or
a single user shell ('#')?

can you send the startup messages?

	--jeff