Edward M. Corrado on Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:00:06 -0500

[PLUG] Webbased file sharing?

Short Question: Can anyone recommend a good package for accessing/sharing
documents over the Internet via a web browser?

Detailed Explanation: I am working with a small non-profit as a
consultant. They currently have two Linux servers (one for mail, one for
file/print sharing for the internal network (using Samba). The have one
folder, PUBLICATIONS, that they would like to be able to access from
home. About 4 people need this access. They need something easy to use
that can download (and upload once they finish editing) various file types
(mainly word processing, pdf, image, files. This of course needs to have
some security. The download part is pretty easy if I use the built in
Apache security. The more complicated part is the upload. Does anyone have
any suggestions of what packages to look at? If possible, I'd like
something that works well with the current Samba config, or something that
is easy (and practical) enough to use that even from inside the network
they will be able to use it without saying things like "the old way was
better." I saw on sourceforge a few programs, including phpfilefarm, but
I'd like some first hand recomendations. The one thing about phpfilefarm
that concerns me a little is it is still at version 0.22 and hasn't been
updated recently.

Ed C.