Michael C. Toren on Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:51:59 -0500

Re: [PLUG] IBM xSeries experience?

> Debian wouldn't fair any better, I don't expect.
>
> Need the drivers from:
>   ftp://ftp.lsil.com/HostAdapterDrivers/linux/Fusion-MPT/2.03.00
> (They've got SuSE, Caldera, and RedHat disks, but no Debian. So I'd
> be back to building my own. And I don't have a Debian system, much
> less the source necessary to build a driver disk, anywhere.)

You don't need an existing Debian system to build a custom kernel for
use during an initial install:

    <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-boot-floppy-techinfo.en.html#s-rescue-replace-kernel>

I would suspect that RedHat has a similar process, too.

Also, it looks like support for CONFIG_FUSION is included in 2.4.19,
so there's presumably no need to use the patches from lsil.com -- a
brief scan of the documentation included in the tarball you provided
a URL for appears to indicate this, as well.

Good luck,
-mct