sean finney on Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:15:12 -0500

Re: [PLUG] IBM xSeries experience?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 03:13:53PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 02:09:29PM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> > right, but you could at least check for those options in the kernel
> > configs for whatever you're using to install, right?
>
> How would I go about doing that? (We're talking about a branded, Red
> Hat Advanced Server 2.1 CDROM here...)

mount the cd in your os of choice, and look around for the kernel config,
which is probably on the cd somewhere... or now having looked for it
on the swat mirror i don't see it, so maybe not...

> Debian wouldn't fair any better, I don't expect.

au contraire!  you just have to pick the right install disk.  check
out the bf2.4 install floppies.  back when i didn't know as much about
what i was doing, i used to be confused by all the different boot floppy
sets on debian's site, but now the benefits are obvious.  in case you
haven't already fixed things with your newfound root shell, it's

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/bf2.4/

hopefully i typed that correctly, as my mouse is plugged into my
other box :) you need 6 floppy disks though, but according to the kernel
config file for the boot floppy (which is there in that same directory)
it's supported as a module.

	sean