gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:14:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] IBM xSeries experience?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 02:09:29PM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> right, but you could at least check for those options in the kernel
> configs for whatever you're using to install, right?

How would I go about doing that? (We're talking about a branded, Red
Hat Advanced Server 2.1 CDROM here...)

> also, in the
> case that the rh install doesn't do it for you, you could compile a
> kernel and make your own boot disk that does what you need and then
> drops you into the install process.

Great. That's not something I have time to do when I was assured by
IBM and Red Hat that they loved each other and everything would be
just swell.

Not that that's your fault or problem, and yes I could do that.

> have you tried doing this manually?  the last time i seriously tried
> installing something with redhat was a while back, but i'm pretty
> sure they either give you a root shell or have a command-line
> install mode that'd let you do it.

No way to shell out of a RH install these days that I see. (^z?
Maybe, haven't tried.)

> and of course our favorite swarthmore mirror is only mirroring 8.x
> now.

Well, turns out I was looking for the 8.0 block driver disk. Got it
now, not that it matters.

> maybe you should just tell your boss that redhat doesn't support
> the computer and put debian on it :)

Debian wouldn't fair any better, I don't expect.

Need the drivers from:
  ftp://ftp.lsil.com/HostAdapterDrivers/linux/Fusion-MPT/2.03.00
(They've got SuSE, Caldera, and RedHat disks, but no Debian. So I'd
be back to building my own. And I don't have a Debian system, much
less the source necessary to build a driver disk, anywhere.)

See http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=details&hid=4215.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net