Tobias DiPasquale on Sun, 1 Dec 2002 16:30:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Window Maker

On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 15:14, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> I have an older machine running Red Hat 7.2.  I often use Window Maker
> 0.65/GNUStep when I want speed over functionality.
>
> As there seems to be no RPM for the current 0.82 version, I have
> downloaded the source and am ready to compile and install.  One
> question, before I do, is it worth it?
>
> Reading the NEWS file, there aren't too many apparent changes, and the
> installation instructions are not so clear about upgrading.  One thing,
> a bit disturbing, is that the documentation seems circa 1999., while
> the program components have dates in February and July 2002.
>
> I'd like to hear from any current or past users of Window Maker with
> their thoughts.

Well, actually, I've only used WindowMaker a few times, but I switched
to IceWM, which is pretty stable, VERY fast and runs every GNOME and KDE
app I throw at it. It's fast to compile and easy to configure; a pretty
good replacement for WindowMaker if you want something fast.

--
<< Tobias DiPasquale >>
UNIX Software Engineer