Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 3 Dec 2002 10:50:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] debian dist-upgrade from woody (stable) to sarge (testing) report

> > >I personally consider unstable (that I call sid because it is not
> > >unstable) a very good choice if you are aware of the debian dev.
> >
> > And yet, unstable is still behind in some respects, e.g. gcc 3.2 is not
> > supported as the core compiler yet. Meanwhile we have (at least) Gentoo
> > 1.4, RedHat 8.0 and Mandrake 9.0.
>
> What about the libc6? AFAIK debian is still ahead.

Depends on what you mean by 'behind'.

One of the things that debian-bashers are unable to grasp is that there is
more out there than i386, and debian supports them very well. This holds
debian back, but it is still on the cutting edge in most respects to
packages, and I have yet to see a distro w/ more packages available
(binaries). RH comes close, but most are not up2datable like debians.

Another important difference is the ability to upgrade a whole distro w/o
rebooting. This is going to make going up to gcc3.2 a bit more difficult
for the packagers, but easier on the sysadmins.

Finally, there is the fact that debian is completely free unlike many
other distros.

I think that the only one that comes out equal or ahead is gentoo.

Fred