Thomas Thurman on Wed, 4 Dec 2002 13:20:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] "inter-user mail"

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 02:48:45PM +0000, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> > RFC2822 allows the right-hand side of an email address to be the name of a
> > host, rather than a mail exchanger, so you should be able to get away with
> > sending mail to username@fully.qualified.name, username@[ip-address] or
> > simply username@localhost.
>
> Or just username.
>
> The system will fill in @`hostname`, so provided that's configured
> correctly, you're good.

True. I didn't want to suggest that, though, because we weren't told what
mailer he was using: many MUAs fill in a domain-part for you, and that may
not be the same as the hostname. (Pine, for example, will never pass an
unqualified address to the MTA; it guesses the domain-part from a number
of places, such as the "user-domain" field in the setup, which is often
set to a plausible value because it's often used to change the domain-part
of the From address on outgoing mail. That value isn't necessarily the
name of the local host, or indeed of any host.)