Arthur S. Alexion on Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:46:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] "inter-user mail"

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 01:09 pm, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 02:48:45PM +0000, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> > > RFC2822 allows the right-hand side of an email address to be the
> > > name of a host, rather than a mail exchanger, so you should be
> > > able to get away with sending mail to
> > > username@fully.qualified.name, username@[ip-address] or simply
> > > username@localhost.
> >
> > Or just username.
> >
> > The system will fill in @`hostname`, so provided that's configured
> > correctly, you're good.
>
> True. I didn't want to suggest that, though, because we weren't told
> what mailer he was using: many MUAs fill in a domain-part for you,
> and that may not be the same as the hostname. (Pine, for example,
> will never pass an unqualified address to the MTA; it guesses the
> domain-part from a number of places, such as the "user-domain" field
> in the setup, which is often set to a plausible value because it's
> often used to change the domain-part of the From address on outgoing
> mail. That value isn't necessarily the name of the local host, or
> indeed of any host.)

Thanks for all of the help.  To clarify, I usually use kmail as my MUA.
 While RH anaconda set up sendmail and it loads at boot (meaning I have
never touched the configuration myself), I have kmail configured to use
smtp.comcast.net for outgoing Internet mail.  When I installed the OS,
it detected the NIC connection to the cable modem and set up DHCP
automatically giving my computer the domain name that I think comcast
has assigned to the leftmost level (meaning
pcs23657942.willowgrove.somethngelse.comcast.net has become
pcs23657942, and my bash prompt is arthur@pcs23657942, or something
like that).  I have kmail set up to receive local as well as pop mail.
I like the idea of using username@localhost.  Will that work given this
other information?