Jon Nelson on Thu, 5 Dec 2002 19:32:55 -0500

Re: [PLUG] 'inter-user mail'

Arthur S. Alexion said:

On an unrelated note...

>  While RH anaconda set up sendmail and it loads at boot (meaning I have
> never touched the configuration myself), I have kmail configured to use
> smtp.comcast.net for outgoing Internet mail.  When I installed the OS,

Since you are using comcast for POP you don't need sendmail running.
Since you haven't touched it it could also be vulnerable to exploits.  You
probably also have portmaper running and it should be shutoff as well due
to it's exstensive security history.  Running both of these on a cable
modem is just asking to get rooted, unless your firewall is blocking
access.  They should still be turned off.

Jon

--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin.
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation