gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:25:20 -0500

Re: [PLUG] System Resource

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:10:29PM -0500, Jeff Weisberg wrote:
> so, in your example, add the '-H' flag, and
> you won't be able to increase it later.

Natch. I'm far too used to *skimming* man pages, clearly.

In any case, I still say that the right way to fix this isn't a hack
in /etc/profile but a configuration for login(1). Were I using
NetBSD and /etc/login.conf, I'd do this in login.conf:

proclimit|processor limited users:\
  :cputime=1024:

Then in /etc/master.passwd, the user'd look like this:

luser:*NP*:1000:100:proclimit:0:0:&:/home/luser:/usr/pkg/bin/zsh

But the format for NetBSD's /etc/master.passwd is different either
than the format for Linux passwd or shadow (to which master.passwd
is closely correlated). From NetBSD's passwd(5):

     These fields are as follows:
           name      User's login name.
           password  User's encrypted password.
           uid       User's id.
           gid       User's login group id.
           class     User's login class.
           change    Password change time.
           expire    Account expiration time.
           gecos     General information about the user.
           home_dir  User's home directory.
           shell     User's login shell.

The login class is what there doesn't seem to be any concept of
under Linux.

Perhaps Linux does this by way of PAM in some contorted way?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net