sean finney on Thu, 5 Dec 2002 13:16:16 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Copy Window harddrive using a Linux boot floppy?

dd would work for the drives of different sizes afaik--assuming the
second is >= the first one in size--but of course if you want to maximize
the use of space on your new drive you might want to partition it yourself
and then copy each partition over individually.

either way, i'm sure your favorite linux boot/rescue/install disk should
be able to supply you with everything you need.

(this is assuming your src hard drive is hda and dst hard drive is hdb)

method 1:
# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

method 2:

- use fdisk/cfdisk/sfdisk to get partition sizes
- create partitions of >= the same size on hdb
# dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1

hth
	sean